Why three? Well, I’m greedy. But if I could have three wishes for next year they would have to be these…
1. To have the ability to make small talk… I would love to talk to people without having to go through a huge rigmarole of trying to find something interesting and failing.
“So how are you Kate?”
“Oh, I’m fine…”
Big pause where I smile and look around. Not meeting the persons eyes.
“Well it was good seeing you.”
“You too,” I say.
That is the problem. By the time I know someone well enough to talk to them they have already formed an opinion. Don’t get me wrong if I am meeting people about something then I am fine – I talk about the something.
2. To be confident in my writing and art. At the moment I pepper my family with:
“Does this look alright?”
“Does this sound alright?”
I wish I could live with less reassurance. Although my family is great and they help when they can. Still, I’m sure I must get on their nerves.
3. To stop saying – “I’m sorry.” I have said it ten times today so far. I take the blame for everything, from the rain to cakes not rising.
Why? I hear you ask. The reality is I don’t know. I always have. I have had friends and family try to get me out of the habit, but I can’t, and now it so much a part of me that half the time I don’t realise I’m doing it. And it is a habit I would love to get rid of…
Well, I’ve had a look at my wishes and you know what? They can be a list of resolutions…
- be more outgoing
- be more confident in your ability
- only say sorry when it applies to something you have done
So there you have it. My wishes I can make come true. Wish me luck because they are going to be tricky. Especially as they are going to break a habit of a lifetime.
This prompt has been inspired by the daily prompt – brand new you, effective tomorrow.